Ashe Street Courthouse Gets Facelift With State Grant
A one hundred and ten year old building in Downtown Johnson City is headed for a renovation thanks to a five million dollar grant from the State of Tennessee. The Ashe Street Courthouse, located on the eastern side of the West Walnut Street corridor was constructed in 1909 and was first used as a post office. It was later utilized as the Washington County Tennessee Courthouse and then later by Washington County’s 911 center until 2017. The Ashe Street Courthouse is a historically significant structure and the funds will help the city preserve and position it for its highest and best use, and will continue to strengthen downtown Johnson City.